Dubai's temperatures are going from very hot to manageable, with this change comes sickness. In addition to change in climate, all the kids are back at school. Any parent would tell you that their children are taking home cold and flu viruses back home with their packed lunches.
The natural reaction these days is a visit to the pharmacy to buy over the counter medicines. But are these medications actually helping us? Well they will suppress symptoms, but don't allow your immune system to fight the illness on its own. So what should you do?
You can find the answer in natural food remedies. There are many, but here are our Top 5:
1) Garlic- amongst many benefits if contains anti biotic properties
2) Ginger- Anti inflammatory. Helps eliminate infections and eases the immune system
3) Raw Honey- anti biotic properties
4) Fermented Foods such as raw sauerkraut- helps boost protective gut bacteria and around 80% of the immune system is located in the gut
5) Lemons- High in vitamin C. Helps reduce infections and associated symptoms including Phlegm production
So be sure to add these into your daily routines and fight what winter has to throw at you. Try adding these ingredients to things such as stir fries, smoothies and soups.